Friday, March 29, 2024

Do it for You

March 29, 2024


Going to school and doing well in school wasn't originally for me. I did it for my eldest sister. I learned how to read for her. When she died, I wanted to mimic the light she shined for the world…I wanted to bring joy like she did. But that only takes you so far…I pursued a pre-med option for college to honor my sister. So, I signed up for all the hardest science classes in high school. I even signed up for extra classes. But then, I struggled to stay motivated…I tried prepping to major in engineering for my dad...but that didn't work. I wasn't motivated to continue. External motivation can be a starting point. However, I came to learn that without internal motivation, doing things on behalf of others is not enough.

When it comes to sports, I love basketball and soccer. In high school my love for these sports didn't match my talent nor opportunity. Fortunately, I did have other avenues. I needed a mix of opportunity and passion. This mixture helped me thrive in wrestling and distance running…And it was then I realized the lane I found was not the lane I expected, but it was a lane for me…That was internally motivating. It pushed me to do more than the bare minimum; I was inspired to do more. I did it for me…even if others didn’t get it. Fast forward to my adulting days. As a parent I've seen all four of my biological children figure this out in their own unique way…For this blog I wanna focus on how my daughter is embracing this idea.


This month is Women's Herstory Month…On March 24th I witnessed my daughter’s efforts to define her story come full circle! Most of my kids don't put in a request to play sports. When they don't give me ideas, they get assigned to track & field…A few years ago my daughter decided she was ready to create her own path for sports. She left track; she chose roller derby. I'm excited about her decision. I'm even excited about her challenges. She experienced the challenges of finding a team. Apparently, teenage (junior) roller derby teams are hard to come by, depending on where you live. She had to learn the sport and improve her skating skills. She had to wrestle with the growing pains of being coached, breaking bones (literally), and even becoming a true teammate. Through it all, she has not been deterred for long; she has kept pushing because it was what she wanted. She knew if she didn't lead the effort, it wasn't going to happen. And now, her internal drive has become infectious! Now I'm internally motivated to support her endeavor…it's personal! I have internal AND external value in all she does for roller derby…I'm motivated to be one of her biggest fans. I love she has given me new reasons to be a proud #GirlDad. 

Inspiration from others only gets you so far. If you've got no buy-in for what you do, it is bound not to last. Every action you do should be tied to motivation that matters to you. It doesn't matter how it starts; it matters how you develop it. Sometimes the motivation starts off simply because it needs to get done. Other times it starts off as a need to reach an accomplishment. Remember, extrinsic motivation can turn into intrinsic motivation. Your motivational opportunities are waiting for you! Go get them! Do it for you!!!

 

-Elgrie J.
#GirlDad


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Professor Hurd for reminding us all of too often forgotten life lessons! You are a sage beyond your years!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am all about being HURD! This blog was created to tell my story; the good, the bad and the ugly. Hopefully the posts will motivate, educate, and empower others to find ways to leave this planet better than when it was given to them. If you are interested in supporting this blog, please follow me. I am available for speaking engagements and training workshops anywhere in the United States of America (and abroad). If you are interested in me as a presenter or supporting in other ways, I can be reached via email at EnvisionYourSuccessDFW@gmail.com. #ProjectTheCure #EnvisionYourSuccess #ProjectDissertation